Being an introvert can sometimes be very difficult. You never know what to say, or how to handle new situations and people. Sometimes regular things that most people don’t even need to think about can make you freak out. Here are some things that will hopefully help you understand introverts better:
- We’re not bitchy, unfriendly or mean- if we just met or even if we’ve been friends for a while but aren’t that close the only thing you’re going to get is a smile and some polite and probably painfully awkward conversation about cats. It’s not that we’re anti-social or even asocial, we like talking and are probably dying to talk to someone about the latest How To Get Away With Murder episode we just watched, it’s just our brain seems to freeze around unfamiliar territory (you). So please just try to be patient if we don’t smile back or look away in fear. We’ll come around soon and it’ll be worth it!
- New people scare us- it’s not you it’s us. No, honestly! Please don’t leave us alone with random people you claim we have “lots in common with” because even if we have everything in common the conversation is not going to flow. We aren’t going to know how to begin or what to say next, I mean the most likely thing that will happen is we’ll leave on the pretense of going to the bathroom.
- New situations scare us even more- everything from being picked on to answer a question in class to flying on an airplane or giving an opinion can be chilling. Even sitting near someone new can be terrifying. But that doesn’t mean we don’t like going to new places and trying new things, it just means we need to take small, less scary steps towards it.
- If we say we’re busy we’re probably in our pj’s binge watching Game Of Thrones– introverts need to recharge so that we can get up in the morning and handle the next day. If we sometimes turn down your offer to hang out don’t take it personally. It’s not that we don’t enjoy your company, because we do and sometimes hanging out is really great but introverts need their alone time where they can just binge watch their favorite shows for a while, or stay in bed and read. This does not mean we don’t want to go out and have some fun so try not to give up on us!
- Trying new things is not fun for us- even though we’re never going to say no to try a new ice cream flavor, trying new things can be quite intimidating. What we would probably love to be doing instead of going to a new club or even meeting new class mates is sitting at home with a book in our hand. New experiences are always good but for us we prefer the good old. We’re very habitual and change can often be very uncomfortable.
- Reading rules- there are so many awesome things I can say about reading I don’t even know where to start. I think the best part is you can quietly sit somewhere, with no one else around to talk, and you can really appreciate the book. Plus, for a while all you think about are the characters and you forget about real life and you get to be a part of a fictitious world. When you see us reading do not, I repeat, do not interrupt us even if there’s a zombie apocalypse.
- We’re secretly rebellious- we’re secretly super rebellious and just because we don’t give our opinion doesn’t mean we don’t have an opinion. There’s just so much going on in our heads it’s difficult to put it into words. However, once you get an introvert to start talking you will learn so many weird facts it’s going to blow your mind. You’re also going to get some crazy conspiracy theories and opinions.
- Don’t try to change us- being an introvert is not something we want to change. We like being who we are so stop trying to push us to be more social. We like having a small group of close friends, and we like being on our own. Accept us for who we are, not what you want us to be. We are, believe it or not, comfortable in our own skin. Don’t try to fix us because we aren’t broken.
I know how tough it is to be an introvert because you can never truly be yourself around a lot of people and sometimes it’s challenging to be the quiet shy one because people are so quick to judge. But to all the introverts out there, be strong because being different is something to cherish not something to be ashamed of. If you feel like your spouse or significant other doesn’t understand you or why you are the way that you are you can always check out online marriage counselling. And to all those reading this who aren’t introverts, just because we’re shy doesn’t mean you can’t take the first steps. Try talking to that geeky chick sitting at the corner reading and if you succeed in befriending her trust me you have got one good friend. We may not be a lot of things but we are loyal and protective over people we love. So just be proud of who you are and do your best!
” You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my head” – Yoko Ono
“I restore myself when I’m alone” – Marilyn Monroe